The Dung-Hawk, also known as a Dung-Drag, was used to drag animal dung from a tilt-cart or heap, to fertilise the land for crops.
On the 28th of December 1828, Woodley, Burrows, Wolstoncraft and Foster were employed to dung all the ridges. There were two dung carts in use on the property, each pulled by two Bullocks (Diary of William Archer, Mon 28 Dec 1829).
Once the ridges were dunged, they were planted with Swedish turnips or potatoes (10, 12 Nov 1829) and then additional loads of dung were ploughed in over the vegetables. On the 12 November 1829, 50 loads of dung were ploughed into the planted potatoes.
There was a dunghill located on site which required turning over regularly (4 Nov 1829), likely to prevent a fire starting.